Healthy Schools in Action
Teachers can help create a healthy school environment by reinforcing messages that are taught in the classroom. When children are active and choose healthy foods, they are more ready to learn and perform academically. The following topics provide tips and ideas to guide their choices throughout the day.
- Provide non-food rewards to your students for good behavior.
- Encourage the school parent teacher organization to plan fundraisers that promote healthy foods and physical activity.
- Incorporate healthy foods into your classroom celebrations.
- When having food in the classroom, ask parents to provide healthy foods like fruits and vegetables.
- Promote drinking water throughout the school day.
- Link classroom nutrition education to foods that students are eating in the cafeteria.